Saturday, December 12, 2009

End of week 2

Everyone’s bridges are beginning to come together now as we finish off the second week of building. I have finished one half of the truss system for my bridge, and Chris Becker has created a large section of his bridge as well. Both of us decided on a triangular shape but went about designing it in completely different ways. Mine consists of two truss systems connected with beams while his is a series of layers, each smaller than the last, connected by strong vertical supports.


Chris Becker's Bridge:

My truss system:

In the last two days I have finally managed to complete one of my trusses and begin the second. Once I have finished constructing these I will connect the two with the roadbed and beams I mentioned earlier. So far, I am very happy with how the bridge is turning out, although learning as you go requires some patience.

Chris has been doing very well as well. He just recently managed to construct the pyramid top to his bridge, something that should add considerable stiffness to the design but was difficult to build. In the close up below you can see how he managed to interweave two triangle to create the three-dimensional shape.

- Turner Bohlen

No comments:

Post a Comment