Thursday, January 14, 2010

End of Construction: Bridges Completed


My fellow classmate Dylan Monroe has a very strong and technically sound bridge. He uses two large triangles on the sides of the bridge along with a truss design to provide great strength. His finishing touches on his bridge were adding the horizontal connecting pieces on the top/outside of his bridge and also extending the width of his bridge to meet the width requirement of 6 inches. I believe that his bridge will be very strong due to the use of triangles and the clever substructure design.



My bridge is one of two in the class that uses an arc design. While the arc gives me great strength, it certainly has not come without complications. Recently while building the substructure i realized that the supports made the bridge sit unevenly, which will most likely be a problem during testing. It took me a few days to build the substructure because I had trouble finding out what positioning would be the best and how exactly I would go about attaching it. Hopefully the uneven sitting will not affect my bridge severely becasue the rest of my bridge seems to be very strong.


Side View (Finished)

Top View (w/o substructure attached)
 
-Scott MacDougall

No comments:

Post a Comment