Saturday, January 9, 2010

Last week

We are entering our last week of building, and everyone seems to have almost completed their bridge. For my bridge, I have the bottom frame completed and I have just finished attaching the arches. Constructing the arches has been a difficult task, and I had failed at a few attempts. Currently, I am working on adding cross braces to connect the two arches. Since I added many extra days in my original timeline for construction, even if I run into more problems I should be able to compensate. The picture below is the bottom frame connected to the arches with some of the cross braces. The picture on the right is similar to what my final design will look like.


Caleb has also been making great progress on his bridge. During the first week of building, Caleb was able to enlighten us with a new joint he had created, which can be seen in the picture below. The joint is most similar to the braced miter joint, and is very stable. The overall craftsmanship of Caleb’s building is impressive. He uses minimal glue, and creates near perfect joints. For the last two days, he has been working on finishing the top of his bridge and is nearly complete. The picture on the right shows his new joint, and the picture on the bottom is his bridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment